In anticipation of a busy week ahead, I decided to make a set of pull-out freezer meals. I’d also accumulated ingredients from weeks of past dinner makings. These ingredients looked rather risotto-ish …
Tired of my usual veg option (mushroom), I zhuzhed up the dish with shittake mushrooms. And the help of some young asparagus.
Not a bad effort for ‘making it up as you go along’. And as it turns out, shittake risotto tastes better the day after it’s made!
1T rice bran oil
half an onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2c arborio rice
1c white wine
6c vegetable stock
2c shittake mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 1-2cm pieces
100g light cheese, grated
zest of half a lemon
- Heat the oil in a large frypan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add rice. Stir to coat the grains with oil.
- Next add the white wine and stir until the liquid has reduced.
- Then add a cup of the stock and stir over medium heat until the liquid in the pan has reduced. Repeat this step with the remaining stock until the rice is half cooked.
- Next add the mushrooms and stir to distribute them through the rice mixture. Then continue to add the remaining stock until the the rice is almost tender enough to eat.
- Next, add the asparagus and cook briefly. The asparagus should still be bright green and firm to the bite when you serve the risotto. If the rice is still uncooked and the liquid has reduced, add more stock and keep cooking the rice until it’s done.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir through cheese and lemon rind.