These walnut chocolate chunk cookies are gluten-free, low in sugar, and will add to your dose of omega-3! The resulting texture is a cross between a soft-chewy cookie and an amaretti cookie. I was originally inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie’s vegan recipe but used walnut flour to boost the protein and reduce the carbs. If you preferred to keep it vegan, you could also replace the egg with oil and milk as Katie does.
Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes 20 cookies
2 1/2 cups walnuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 egg, whisked
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
100g 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a 39x27cm cookie tray with baking paper.
- Process 2 cups of the walnuts, baking, and salt in a food processor until the walnuts are finely ground.
- Tip the walnut mix into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, egg, and vanilla essence. Blend until incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate pieces.
- Shape cookies from the dough: Begin by shaping one tablespoon of dough into a ball and flatten to about half a centimetre on your lined cookie tray. At this point, if the mixture is looking a bit wet, add in more ground walnuts bit by bit until you get a drier consistency. Continue shaping cookies from the dough until finished.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are browned to your liking.
- Transfer to a tray and cool.