The smell of baking coconut, manuka honey, and banana wafting from the oven was too heavenly to resist. I had to share this recipe. I had half a carton of buttermilk left over, so I decided to bake a banana loaf for the week’s snacks. The buttermilk, combined with baking soda would produce a nice, light loaf.
Always thinking of how to make food healthy, yet full of deliciousness, I added coconut oil, manuka honey, and walnuts to the mix. Manuka honey packs a nice punch in flavour, especially in low-fat baking. And nuts are always a treat!
Low-fat Manuka Honey Banana Bread
5 ripe bananas, mashed
2T Manuka honey
1T coconut oil (you can also use butter or oil)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2t baking soda
1t baking powder
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup plain flour
10 crushed walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 12cm x 22cm loaf tin.
- Combine the bananas with the honey and coconut oil. Then mix in the egg.
- Combine the buttermilk and baking soda. Add this to the banana mix.
- Next add the flours and spices. Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the loaf bounces back when lightly touched and an inserted skewer comes out clean.